Thursday, July 29, 2010

Camp Mom 2010: Day 3

Today's Adventure: Greenbluff, Colbert, WA

What we learned:
I can't really pin point any serious learning but just being outside exploring, they're bound to pick something up.

What we did and saw:
We had planned on going to one place to pick raspberries but I couldn't find it so we just wandered around looking for a sign. When we got to the Harvest House I decided to pull in and ask if they were picking raspberries and they were. So we headed down with our bucket and got to picking. Even though it was only 10am when we got there, it was starting to get pretty hot. We didn't last very long and only got about 1 1/2 pounds of raspberries. Trying to keep the unpaid for raspberries out of Chloe's mouth was a whole other obstacle.

 Athena and I checking out the Harvest House Bathrooms.
Best bathrooms on the Bluff.


Shannon amongst the raspberry bushes


The kids enjoying their honey sticks

The Harvest House does not allow you to eat your own food at their picnic area so we had to leave in search of an picnic-friendly picnic area. This was harder than I thought it would be. We went to Trezze Barn to get one of their delicious prepared pesto lasagnas, which they don't give away, and they wouldn't let us use their picnic tables either.

I feel the need to pause right now for a rant. I think advertising a picnic area but then not allowing us to eat our picnic lunch there is a bit contrary to the spirit of picnicking. Purchasing a prepared meal and then eating it outside is just eating at a restaurant on the patio. When we sit on the patio at Rock City, I don't call it a picnic. To be fare, I believe there are other places that have areas where you can eat a packed lunch but many are not open during the week and I just think we didn't pass by the right places. Okay, on with our adventure.

We finally pulled into Walter's Fruit Ranch where they graciously allowed us to use their picnic area for our controversial picnic lunch. Now I wish I just would have gone there first and spent our berry money there. I just made sure we cleaned up very well. There was a whole group of older folks out to pick fruit and they seemed to really enjoy the kids so perhaps we gave back by adding to the ambiance.


And then we headed home to rest up for day 4.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails