Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Freezer Meals

I was able to score boneless, skinless, chicken breasts for $1.58/lb last week but I had to buy a 40 lb case. So, the weekend before the purchase I planned several meals I could make and freeze and I purchased the remaining ingrediants I needed. The awesome thing it, I had most of the dry and canned ingrediants already in my stock pile. I basically had to purchase about $35 in produce and herbs. I also thawed out 12 lbs of chicken from a previous score (1.88/lb).

I used recipes from my two favorite freezer meal books:
Don't Panic Dinner's in the Freezer and Don't Panic More Dinner's in the Freezer

I bought these books when I was 8 months pregnant with Athena so I could load up our freezer before her birth. So here are the meals I made last week and part of this week:

Chicken Parisienne (crockpot meal) x 3
Chicken Cacciatore (crockpot meal) x 3
Chick Breasts Stuffed with Pesto (oven) x 2
Buttermilk Herb (grill) x 3
Chick Pot Pie (oven) x 6 this one is a family favorite
Grilled Honey Lime Chicken (grill) x 3
Teriyaki Chicken Stirfry (stovetop) x 4


So, I made 24 meals and I believe the cost came out to about $5.25/meal. Not too shabby. Oh, and I should mention, each meal will feed our family for dinner and then Stacey's lunch the next day.

Now I'm hoping to find a deal on pork and repeat the process. I would like to spread these meals out over a 4 - 5 month period. We're not huge beef eaters but if I find a deal, I have recipes for that too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails