Wednesday, August 25, 2010

New gadgets, gizmos, and free furniture

While putting together my curriculum this year, I realized how nice it would be to have my very own laminating machine. This time last year, I put a few phonics centers together and it cost me twice the cost of a basic laminating machine to get them all laminated. And it was only four centers! So, I bought one of my very own.



Also, I invested in a continuous ink system for our printer. Between homeschooling, coupons, and other general stuff we . . . okay I . . . go through a ton of ink. The entire system only cost $35 on ebay and it came full of ink. That's already less then buying a couple of new cartridges. Sweeeeeeeeet.



We rearranged our downstairs so the kids now have a school room/play room. We used to have a small office with a ton of really bulky office furniture. We moved all of the office furniture out into two separate rooms to make things less crowded and used the old office as the kids' new room. We use it to do school in the morning and then they can play in the afternoon and clean it up again before bed. I wanted to get some desks for them but I was not thrilled about the price of those things. Any surface at the right height would work just fine but I had a hard time finding anything at a decent price. Until my granny was kind enough to find an ad for free school desks in the paper. So I was able to get two desks in really great condition and I grabbed four chairs while I was at it.

 Our old office, empty and ready for a new paint job

I realize how drab that ugly brown curtain is, but it is far more lovely than
the window behind it. One of these days I'll get a prettier curtain.

I know a lot of moms don't like the idea of school desks in their home school but after doing all of our learning at the kitchen table last year, it just was not working for us. I had to keep clearing the table every time someone got hungry. And in this high metabolism family, that happens a lot. And since I wanted to give the work box system a try, we would need more space.

One of these days, when my office isn't atrocious, I may post a picture of it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails