Saturday, June 26, 2010

Changes for the Coming School Year

Although I am thoroughly enjoying the lazy days of summer, my wheels have also been turning about this coming school year. When will we start? What curriculum will we use? What will our days look like now that Shannon is entering first grade, Chloe is in pseudo-kindergarten, and Athena is in full blown toddler mode?

Well, I can only begin to answer those questions. This coming year we will be enrolled in Columbia Virtual Academy and I am pretty excited about it. Last year I was very hesitant to enroll in any sort of umbrella school. I wasn't sure how things would go and I wanted a lot of flexibility. I had heard about CVA but was pretty closed minded about the idea. But, a blogger friend of mine got me thinking about it. Her teaching style is very eclectic and free wheeling so I was surprised to find out that her kids were enrolled in CVA. I also discovered a post on Homeschool Distractions that describes the program perfectly. That link will pretty much tell you everything you need to know about the program. The financial reimbursement for curriculum and other learning expenses is very appealing but I also think being in contact with a teacher once a week will keep me and the kids on task. I really wanted to include a field trip to the Portland Zoo in our life science curriculum this year but wasn't sure if we could afford it. With the help of CVA, it just might be possible.

I am also thinking of starting our school year in the first part of August. I want to start a bit early because, and I think I have mentioned this before, we do want to add to our family. We don't know when that will happen, but I would rather start early just in case we are blown off course by first trimester sickness. 

I am still working on choosing curriculum and trying to keep Shannon's sensory needs in mind. First grade has a bit more work than kindergarten and I want this to be a positive experience for all of us. Homeschooling is supposed to allow us more freedom and flexibility, more fun, more opportunities to grow in God's grace, and more time to just be together. These thoughts escaped me at times last year as I anxiously plowed us through the material.

I have a ton of ideas about this coming year that I will share with you over the coming weeks. Meanwhile, we will be spending as much time outside as possible. Thank you, Lord, for the sunshine this week!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails